Sunday, August 8, 2010

Grand Canyon trip - day 4


My fourth day started with some missions:  putting the tent down, visiting the Grand Canyon – North Rim and finding a place to put the tent up.
a)      Putting the tent  down

It was piece of cake … I had just to figure out how to fold the tent, but after some tries I got it. So, no more commentaries about it.

b)      Visiting the Grand Canyon – North Rim

First of all I would like to clarify something: The Grand Canyon has two parts – North Rim and South Rim. I hadn’t known that until I started studying about it.

Now that we know about the Grand Canyon let´s go back to the mission. In fact, it wasn´t a mission, it was a dream. As you probably know, I appreciate been in contact with nature. Experience Grand Canyon is a unique feeling, maybe because it is unique. You won´t find anything like the Grand Canyon in all world.


I didn´t count how many times I cried when I saw the rim, but in the first time I stopped the car, looked at through the trees and there it is…. THE GRAND CANYON!!! I couldn´t see it quite well from where I was and, for sure, that point is far from being one of the best points for seeing it, even though it was remarkable.



I couldn´t - neither wanted - hold the tears. The Grand Canyon was in front of me, or better, I was in front of the Grand Canyon. Something like the Grand Canyon exists to show how small we are. Small in various ways. I am not here to discuss about philosophy, but it shows something to us.

In addition to this mission I had another little mission that I had already given up at that time, but fate is fate. I met some people on Zion Park. One of those would also be on Grand Canyon at “day 4”, so we exchange cell numbers and we hope we could get together in order to share the beauty of the place. But, I didn´t know my cell phone wouldn´t work at the Grand Canyon. Moreover, I arrived 2 hours late than we had arranged. So, our chances of getting together was about zero. Fate is fate… when I was leaving the Visitor Center I heard “Marcio” … do you believe that¿


In that way, my second mission was well completed. I could see tremendous views. In fact, every single turn has a magnificent view.


c)       Finding a place to put the tent up
Since I left Iowa I have known it would be hard. The National Park has a campground – TOTALLY FULL. My third option would be sleep in the car – TOTALLY UNCONFORTABLE. My best option would find a place to stay outside of the Park and that was I did.
I got informed about the places, or better, the only reasonable place outside of the Park able to receive campers – DeMotte Campground. Ok!!! I went there, I talked to the “manager” and … deal. Seventeen dollars per night. Ok!!! I put my tent up, I paid my 3 days and he told me about the amenities.  



I thought I missed the word “shower” when he was explaining about the campground, so I asked him: “Tom, where is the shower:”. He answered me: “There is no shower, Sir. You can go to National Park. There are showers there that work with coins. One dollar and fifty”.  I sad “o    k”. At that moment, my all day crossed my mind and I decided to act. It is better I drive 1 mile and buy a “camp towel” than drive 30 miles to take a shower. So I bought the special towel at the grocery.  Well, it sounds like a nice towel. I think I will use it someday …

In despite of DeMotte has no electrical power at all it was very well organized. So, I believed I would have a good time there – 3 days long. And, thinking about it, I watched for rocks on the ground before I put the tent up.

After a hectic day, I went to “bed” looking forward to my first track in Grand Canyon. Do you think I could sleep? Read the next publish …

See you soon

(No reviewed)

No comments:

Post a Comment