Monday, August 9, 2010

Grand Canyon trip - day 5

My fifth day began at night. The elevation was about 8.500 feet – something like 3.000 meters. So, during the summer the temperature reached 44 F (8 C). I thought I was prepared for it because my sleep bag bare up to 40´s. Therefore, my lack of experience in camping brought up something again.

On my first night in Kanab-Utah I felt an annoying rock under my back, so I watched for rocks at this time. But now I was facing the cold. I could feel every single degree under my back … so the night wasn´t a perfect night. Besides, I was about my first track. Both reasons was enough to force me to wake up 3h30. Anyway I got up 4h30. At this time I could hear some movements, probably people preparing themselves to hike.

It was cold and dark, but my mind was hot and clear à I wanna hike!!! After I arrived at the beginning of the trail I double checked my stuff:
Liquid – water, Gatorade
Food – cereal bar, trail mix, cookies, potato chips
First aid and so – knife, flash lamp, spare batteries, first aid, water purification, whistle, mirror, sunblock, repel

It sounds like an over-estimated stuff. And it is. I got informed about hiking on Grand Canyon. One person per week died on Grand Canyon by dehydration. Although it sounds like weird cookies and potato chips in trail, those products have a lot of calories (energy) and you spend it a lot hiking under a temperature that could reach 115 F near the bottom of the Canyon.

At that time everything was ok, so let´s hike. Uhuuuu!!! After hike 1 mile uphill I said “Oops”. Well, I was so excited that I didn´t realize I got the wrong way. One mile down later I met a couple that showed me the “trailhead” of Widforss Trail (beginning of the trail”.


The trail goes through up and down hills in the forest and sometimes on your left you can see the huge Grand Canyon. So, we had shade during all trail long. That is awesome. By the way I got together with that couple during all day long. They are very kind and, moreover, we were at the same camping.


After an amazing 6 hours hiking and reviewing some nice spots from Grand Canyon with my new friends I deserved a BATH … finally. It was one of the bests $1,75 dollars ever spent for me. So, after THAT bath – the coin shower last only 5 minutes – I still had some work to do: prepare myself for a tomorrow´s hiking and solve the cold at my back – for the record: 40’s F in the summer time, can you imagine in the winter



The first one was easy, but the second one … I remember I had some newspaper at the trunk. Is there better isolate than newspaper (for free)? Of course not …

Do you wanna know if it worked¿ Don´t miss the next chapter … hehehe

See you soon
(No reviewed)

No comments:

Post a Comment