Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Grand Canyon – day 10







The rain has gone but my wish of going hiking hasn´t. I woke up early in order to face the South Kaibab Trail. My first surprise of the day was meeting with an Elk along the road.








The Kaibab Trail has two sides: North and South. In fact, it is just one trail that links both sides of the Park. I hiked a part of the north side. Now I was trying to track a part of the other side. There is no water and virtually no shade in this trail, so you must be prepared for it – that means heavy backpack.






Rangers strongly recommend you only go down around 3.0 miles. I did a little farther because I was no tired at all, I had enough food and water, so I went down more 1.5 miles and I had a wonderful view of the Colorado River. It was magic. It was my first view of the river in a track, I mean, with my own legs. I probably spend 45 minutes looking at that view under the sun. I didn´t care. The roar of the Colorado is something unbelievable. I was practically numb. A crow got along with me. Both of us were hungry. I helped myself.










After some tears and with sorry I had to leave that magic place and start going up. Even going uphill, the South Kaibab trail gave me more good surprises. When I was at the half of the uphill the rain started. I wore my NEW raincoat and 10 minutes later I found a cave. Amazing, isn´t it? I stayed in the cave during 15 minutes. It was a little cave, but it was still a cave. After left the cave I took a little time at a peaceful place. I could hear the silence there.


When I arrived at last "rest" point the temperature was 90´s F (after the rain). I took a little while there and kept going up and after 7 hours I completed 10 miles round trip. I got tired for sure, but I was also pretty glad and confident about my next challenge – Bright Angel Trail.












After a deserved bath and some shopping I went back to my cozy tent with a nice mood. When I closed my eyes at the darkness of the forest I could feel just one thing. JOY!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment