Monday, August 23, 2010

Grand Canyon – day 11






Despite of waking up 4h30 I ended up starting hiking late at the most famous trail of Grand Canyon – Bright Angel Trail. If you intend to reach the Colorado River you will probably use this trail and it could be a huge problem. Rangers insist on NOT trying to reach Colorado River in a day-hiking. They strongly recommend 2 days to reach the bottom - one day down and one day up to reach Colorado River. It is not an impossible task, but it is tough for sure, for the record I would say too tough. By the way there is a photo of a misinformed marathoner that died on that trail.


You can choose your level of effort stopping and returning at 3 or 4 rest points along the trail. At each one of them (1.5 mile distant between them) you can find water and restroom. It helps a lot because you don´t need to carry much water so I carried electrolyte and food instead. By the way, my backpack was the heaviest of all other days.



I started hiking with a confortable temperature and with a clear blue sky above me. It would mean – hot afternoon … At the first stop downhill the temperature was 60 F and restroom closed for cleaning service. The temperature wasn´t bothering me, but the restroom … After I solved this little problem I went toward the second rest point 1.5 mile down. The temperature there was above 70 F. Of course the views are amazing.



During my way for the 3rd rest point I had to stop - mules. For the record, mules are quite common at this trail. Mules are very strong and smart enough to keep on the trail. I haven´t heard a word about a suicide mule or something. Anyway, mules can carry people or "what people leave at restroom". Off the record, I guess sometimes mules don´t realize what is on their back.







When I arrived at the 3rd rest point (Indian Garden) – 4.5 miles down – At Indian Garden you can find shade, water, rangers and a lot of notes telling you how dangerous it could be try to reach the river. I was not tired at all. It was about 11am and the temperature was around 70 F. So the variables – temperature and my fitness - were playing at my side. At that point you can choose 3 ways: go back to the top (5.0 miles uphill), go to the river (4.5 miles ahead) or go to Plateau Point (1.5 miles ahead).



I took a while there and after a little doubt I chose go toward the river. Fifteen minutes later I changed my mind and went back to Indian Garden and went toward Plateau Point. That was my luck… I would end up too tired if I kept going to the river.




Plateau Point

Plateau Point is 1.5 miles far from Indian Garden and it is a flat way. I felt I was walking in desert. No shade, some sand and rocks, tiny plants and cactus. I got at the end of the trail in 20 minutes. The view of the Colorado River is indescribable from there. I stayed there for 1h30min under the sun. The view and the sound of the river worked like an oasis.






The Cookies and the Thief (Zoom in)

During my delighting, I took off my shoes, picked my food up (potato chips, cookies, trail mix and Gatorade) and tried to relax a little bit. I saw a crow and a squirrel walking around in order to find some free food. I didn´t care much. No rush, just relax. All of a sudden I saw a squirrel running with a zip bag FULL of cookies. Just my luck. Ok, my mistake.







When I was back at Indian Garden I realized I made my second mistake – I forgot to recover the likely empty zip bag. That kept in my mind, but I wouldn´t spend 1 hour round-trip under the sun just for an empty zip bag. I thought: "Let fate take care of it". So, I ate something (no cookies at all) and I took a nap on a bench under shade.


I woke up when an annoying squirrel tried to steal my hat. At that time I realized I had already walked more than 8 miles and I had more 5 miles of uphill to reach the top, I was a little bit tired and the thermometer showed 100 F. Variables were playing against me. "Nice and slow" that is the secret.







During my way back I got really tired. I stopped more than usual, I ate more than usual, I drank more than usual, I took some energetic drinks and I started listening to music (the last two items were the first time that I used them on a trail). Everything was in order to have strength to keep going up and somehow it had been working, but when I saw a man with a prosthetic leg on the trail I automatically realized I had just received the strength I needed.




Strength


After 9 hours and almost 15 miles later I reached the top. It was the most exhausting and exciting trail I ever experienced. It was hard to complete this trail but it is harder to describe my feeling at that moment. What I experienced during those 9 hours was terrific. Everything ran so nicely that even my second mistake was forgiven – I found (and I picked up) a zip bag like mine during my way back.






So, after think a little while I decided to give up of another trail. I was too tired and plenty amazed and satisfied of my all 4 trails. With this decision on my mind I took a shower, ate something and went back to the tent in order to rest and think about the next day. My last day at Grand Canyon. The day that I would see the mighty sun rising at Grand Canyon.


See you soon.


(Reviewed)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Márcio.....experimental flights, Gran Canyon trip...I bet you are planning something like go down in Niagara Falls into a barrel, aren't you ?!
    Your trip was spetacular.

    ReplyDelete