Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What in the hell is a blizzard?

What in the hell is a blizzard?

A couple weeks ago we faced not just a blizzard in the QuadCities. It was the blizzard. No one  had been seen like that for 40 years plus.  My private English teacher said I had luck in seeing something like that … I can’t disagree more.
Technically, a blizzard is a snowstorm with a strong wind. In Portuguese we call it “nevasca” – by the way, we just call it but, thank God, we don’t see it. I have a peculiar point of view about what I saw on that Tuesday. Blizzard is a process for me.
The day after ...
It is a process because it is something that transforms as time goes by. Take a look at the following steps:
1.       Excitement – it is the time before “it” starts. It can last a week or two before the next step. It’s the time when you turn on the TV set or access the internet and see news about it. A lot of news.  So, you realize that something “different” and “huge” is coming.
2.       Scared – Despite being told at the first step to stay at home because of safety matters, at the very beginning of “it” you were told you must pick up those ones who you care about wherever they are.  So, you must stay outside of home and inside of your car. At that time the snow, wind and some slippery roads have taken place and everyone who is inside of their own cars has the same thought:  I need to go home. Suddenly you realize the weather is getting worse and you can end up stuck in your own car.
3.       Awesome – this is the best part of “it”. It happens when you are safe and sound inside your home while you are appreciating the chaos through the window. During the step one you were told about the wind will blow strongly and now you are totally sure that it is really true. The point is: the snowflakes came from the sky into all directions. I mean, it sounds like someone is pondering snowflakes in a room with 4 fans (N,S,W,E) set for blowing at 50 MPH. Anyway, you are inside home, so, no problem with -25 C wind chill outside.
4.       White – Finally “it” gave up after hours of chaos. The feeling at this time is relief and calmness (since you are inside home) because you barely see anything through the window but whiteness.  I mean trees, roofs, sidewalk, wires, street, streams …  a kind of peace pops up to your mind. In days like that it is common and necessary for everyone to stay at home. They call it a “snow day”. A kind of day off regarding your incapacity of getting anywhere: work, school and stores.

Snow days deserve a commentary. It is also common some stores announce clearances on the snow day. It sounds like madness to me. Since there is no public transportation you have two options to get to a store: on foot or by car. On foot – Quite few people have Eskimo’s skills to reach the stores regarding the frozen weather out there (-20 C). By car – unless you take a ride in a snow-plough truck, you can’t get to the store by car because you will end up stuck on the snow, that’s if you could get your car out of the garage.

Cold and hard work


5.       Hard work – Talking about garage, after a while you start thinking you will need to use your car before spring season (when snow naturally melts). So, “Let the dog out” …. That is what I do. In this case “dog” is a used and noisy John Deere Snowthrower which is needed a secret formula to work (1 part of oil for 50 part of gas). I don’t know why my neighbor does it so easily and I don’t, but the point is I can’t maneuver it as easy she does. I have to push it hard to move it against the 40 cm of snow height. Anyway it is better than remove that entire snow using shovel.

Well, blizzard aside, snow season is a totally interesting experience. As most of you know, I have been abroad sometimes although I had never seen snow before I came to the USA. Despite  the cold weather, people really do things – going shopping, going to work, going to school, having fun … even running outside with temperature that I barely can stand for couple seconds outside.

After the hard work
It’s amazing when I am almost freezing inside the car while children are waiting to get the school bus in a place with no protection. It’s amazing seeing the Mississippi River totally frozen in its almost 1 mile wide. It’s amazing thinking how squirrels, rabbit and deer can even survive outside since they use the same “clothes” all year long.

I grew up in a place that you can feel the climate changes along the year, but here those changes are much more intense.  I thought winter time is a period that people take a chance to stay more at home. It’s funny when you realize it is up to you and the weather is just an excuse. I mean, for me it is the same. Unfortunately, I’m still doing the same as I did during all year long – staying at home. Sometimes I got frustrated about it, but I am dealing with it.

Thanks for reading and take care.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Márcio, It's great hear you again.
    Listen to me, I do not see snow in my entire life, even so
    I remember at once I dreamt about it. Don't ask me why, cause I really do not know the reason why. Well, the fact is I woke up totally scared. Wow man....It was crazy !
    When you can, show up at msn for talking with me. It has a long time we do not talk.
    Take care you too.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete