Monday, June 21, 2010

our cars and THEIR CARS

“Marcio, why did you write the title like this?”

our cars

















                                                                                         THEIR CARS


Well, the answer is easy. our cars (Brazilian cars) are quite different from THEIR CARS (USA cars). In fact, the entire system linked with cars are different here.


Let´s start with price. THEIR CARS cost around 30% of our cars. I mean, if you had $16.000,00 US dollars in USA you would buy a used car like 2007 Toyota Camry, in Brazil you would need $45.000,00 US  dollars to buy the same car. By the way, I guess, the USA car market is around 10 times bigger than Brazil  market.

Now, it´s time to compare drivers´ licenses. In USA, I got mine in less than 2 hours using my own car on the practical test and I spent US$ 8,00. Yes Brazilians, it is true: 2 hours and US$ 8,00. Well, you know … the process to get ready to drive our cars take around 2 months and you will spent US$ 800,00 (at least) … By the way, as far as I could understand, some laws follow the state where you are. For instance, in some states you are allowed to drive a motorcycle with no helmet. Another example is about cell phone. In some states  you can talk while you are driving and in others you can´t. So, it is not a good idea using cell phones while you are driving from East to West Coast for example.

Ok, by this time, we have already had a car and our license. It is time to use both. At least in Bettendorf-Iowa I can feel drivers are more polite than us (Brazilians). I believe there are two reasons for it: They are more knowledgeable about laws and you really can be punished if you go against the law. I was told they teach drive lesson on High Scholl as we teach Math.

our cars and THEIR CARS are quite different indeed. Likely you can remember our former president Fernando Collor who opened our market for the world, and he said our cars were like a cart. Well, sometimes I wonder if he is still right. I have no idea how many years stuff like air-conditioning, ABS brakes, air-bags, automatic-shift and hydraulic steering are more than common here.  Although the automobile industry is worried about gasoline consumption there is no “tiny” engine here. Instead, THEIR CARS basically are found in two ways: big and very big cars. The pictured house is a typical American house. Two cars outside the garage – in general, a garage full of stuff inside, so car can´t stay in there -  one “normal” and another such as SUV, Truck or Family VAN. Ohh Yes!!! They love SUVs  and Trucks.


They also must have car insurance, but it is different from ours. I couldn´t understand quite well the differences between them, but I know you must have insurance by law. In addition, insurance here is a huge market. But it is funny … as you can find at the photo, it is not rare you find a parked car with opened windows, and during winter time they turn on THEIR CARS and go inside the house to have a breakfast and return to the car to go to work. If we do that, we would turn on our cars, would go inside the house, would have breakfast and ... would call a cab to go to police station in order to claim a stolen car.

So, we have bought a car, were allowed to drive, we've parked them ... let´s go to the gas station, and after get on the road...  As you should know, THEIR CARS have the tank filled by the owner and the bill can be paid at the gas pump. By the way, the gasoline price runs as oil price runs, I mean, the market controls the price (nowadays US$ 2.60 per gallon)... it is fair enough, isn't it? our cars are filled with doubtful quality gasoline at prices controlled by PETROBRAS. Well, as you should also know, THEIR CARS don´t have to face holes on streets nor have to pay high fees on the roads.

I could also tell about the interests, variety ... but our cars are tired ... well at the end of the day they are not THEIR CARS.

See you soon ... on foot.


4 comments:

  1. Dreeeeeeeam, dreeeeam, dreeeam, dreeeam... I also thought it was safe until we had our car stolen in Staten Island in 2007. The car had a key that was supposed to be the only one that could open it, so it was towed away during the night before a loooong weekend. They were professionals, the car (I mean the body) was found a month later. In Brazil you can buy an used car and sell it after some years later for the same price or even more. Here cars depreciate a lot, and you pay insurance based on the current price (and they also consider mileage). This is bad because you take care of your car for years, someone steals it and then you have the money just to buy the same car, the same year, but you can't know the exact condition, so it's better to buy a new one again, but at least interest is less than 6% a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcio - Adorei teu blog!!!!!!! Estou rindo because your analysis is very funny from a Brazilian perspective! I love it!! Adoro!!!!! Se eu escrevesse o mesmo assunto em portuguese sobre carros BRASILEIROS vs. CARROS AMERICANOS seria muito FUNNY tambem!!!!! Abraco!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mumu, I loved your subject posted here. Well done !! I would like to send you a comment about Brazilians laws and the controlling:
    I had my license drivers hunted, because I was caught driving above the high way speed limits. The according with the Brazilians law my punishment should be: two months without license driver plus go to drivers school again. I totally agree, I have no complaint about it. The process should take me around three months.
    But, the process took me around two years….. I said two years to be completed, because there is a mafia controlling this issue on government. If you do not pay bribe (I didn’t) you will be punish again by that guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcio!

    I am looking forward to your next work. It is funny and insightful and your English has improved. Fun!

    Kate Finn

    ReplyDelete