Friday, August 13, 2010

Grand Canyon trip – day 7





The campgroung is among those trees.


After this night I don´t consider me a Junior Camper anymore. I finally had a good night of sleeping. The days of rock and chilly under my back are over.





As I planned, I woke up early (5h15m), put tent down (in 15 min), tried to organize my "home-car" (30 min) and bye bye Demotte Campground around 8h00 (that´s not match … never mind). I would like to reach the south of Grand Canyon in the evening. You can get the South Rim by 2 ways from the North: tracking or driving. Tracking was not an option at that moment - one day down and one day up carrying all of my stuff on my back into the rim wasn´t in my plain. The second option has more two ways: east or west way. East takes 4 hours. West takes 10 hours. I choose the hardest one.


"Are you crazy Marcio?". Actually the longest way has some appeals. I would like to "see" Las Vegas and Hoover Dam and that was I did. I just saw them. So I set the GPS and went to the road. The road to Las Vegas is not a big deal. In fact, it there isn´t a big deal at all. Desert. Hot. It was not hot as Las Vegas. It was 114 F on the road. In Las Vegas was 115 F (more than 46 C – I had never faced it before). Other thing I had never seen was the traffic sign – "No hitchhiking allowed. Prison area".




Las Vegas

Las Vegas sounds like a nice city, in spite of it is in middle of desert. but I was not into it. I just got little lost there (intentionally) and I stopped for lunching. It was too hot. As I said, 115 F (46 C). My next goal was Hoover Dam.


Huge!!! Very beautiful!!! Lake Mead – the lake built in function of dam is blue. Amazing. Off the record – Itaipu Dam beats Hoover Dam in beauty.





Next goal – Grand Canyon – South Rim. But, before I got the South Rim I have to face more desert. It is funny … you can see some little cities on the way and I wondered … what in the hell you can do here??? I didn´t figure it out. Anyway, I of course noticed how good roads are. Sometimes I couldn´t see the next curve … probably more than 15 miles straight ahead.







During this travel I got a little bit confused about time. Check it out – I left North Rim to get South Rim. I left Arizona to get to Arizona. To accomplish it I left Arizona (one time line), got in Utah (other time line), got in Arizona again (other time line), got in Nevada (other time line) and finally get in Arizona once again (other time line). I am thanked by no one ask me "What time is it sir?".


As I would got too late in the South Rim I decided to stay in Flagstaff. I didn´t like it… I was expecting a little town. It is not. Anyway, … the most interesting thing that I did there was driving on the famous Route 66. Well, I couldn´t feel the wildness feeling of the road, but … it has something in that road … So, at that night I gave a break for the tent and I slept in a little hotel. That break was deserved. Do you wanna know why … ?



See you soon …


(No reviewed)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment